Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Words

"I always surprise myself on my ability to turn a phrase. Words are, in my not so humble opinion, the most inexhaustible source of magic; capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it." -Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Yes, I'm aware I've posted that quote before but I LOVE it!! It's so true. Words hold more weight than I do. (Okay, yes we've established holding more weight than I do isn't hard, but still!) Words have lasted since the beginning of time, tales of how the earth started, fairy tales, religion, anything and everything. Words repeated over and over can beat you down and crush you to the ground, while at the same time a simple switch of words said just as many times can help you soar and reach heights you never even imagined! Words can inspire and words can make you perspire.
The effects of physical abuse are obviously detrimental, and any kind of abuse is horrible. But the effects of verbal and emotional abuse echo and reverberate with the victim far longer. Bruises fade, scratches heal, broken bones grow back together, but the insults to self-esteem replay for the hearer every day. It takes only the immune system with the help of a doctor to repair the damage from physical abuse, but it takes years of counseling and a constant mental battle to repair the damage done from emotional and verbal abuse. I know very little from personal experience. But we've all been hurt by someone. Physically and emotionally. I healed from the broken wrist I got in a car accident. And my wrist is better than ever. But the rude words, the exclusion, the negativity forced upon me from years of adolescent foolishness of middle and high school still hit me and feed my insecurities.
The words in a textbook open up your knowledge and expand your potential. The words in a novel can take you to a new world away from reality. The words in a book can change your perspective and way of thinking about a person or people, or way of life, or events, or anything really.
A twisted tangle of words can threaten to trap you in a place of pain. Or a set of sweetly situated syllables can put you on cloud 9. Or a lack of words can leave you speechless, either way; happily, or unhappily.
Words hold some of the greatest power known to man. Wield them wisely.

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated." -Dumbledore (His quotes are BRILLIANT! Also, in your own battles keep fighting. It's hard, it hurts, but it's worth it. Even if you make it just a little farther against the evils in your own life. Just keep swimming!!! You can make it!!)

Also...in my head this was brilliant. On screen, not so much. But hopefully you get the idea. My one consolation is that at least Rae will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment