Thursday, March 17, 2011

Beauty

There are so many different forms and shapes and definitions of beauty and I've been contemplated on my version of the term tonight. What is beauty? Is it the faces of those you love? Is it words strung together in just the right order? Is it a landscape? Is beauty a piece of music that fills your soul? Is it a photograph? Is it a feeling? Is it a secret piece of cake in the pantry and no one finds you? Is it a meaningful film? Maybe one of those made you nod, and made everyone else in the room shake their head over how involved you were in the internet, maybe not. Well, here's my definition of beauty, at least for now:

Beauty is these people I love, their faces lighting up when they see me. Their eyes. Their smiles. Their jokes. Their laughter. Their tears. Their comfort. Their comfort is the most beautiful to me.



Beauty is these few different sets of words that brilliant people have strung together:
I love you. -Anon. (Eve probably, or Adam, if he was a smart husband)--These words bring a smile to my lips and tears to my eyes. So simple and so true, the beauty of these three words is incomparable.
I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I've ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, every day we are together is the greatest day of my life. I will always be yours. And, my darling, you will always be mine. -The Notebook, Nicholas Sparks--This makes me cry every time. It's toward the end of the book when you find out the little old man is Noah. He writes Ally this letter before her memory goes. If I were writing my own vows, I would say this to my husband-to-be.
Okay, I know I know more, but those are the only two I can think of at the moment.

Beauty is Kevin Jonas. I think that he is gorgeous. I cannot imagine a man more beautiful.

(That's my favorite picture of him. It's beautiful)

(Savvy is even trained to say I'm going to marry him. I am very proud of her for that.)

These are a few films I think are beautiful:
Finding Neverland (Kate Winslet, Johnny Depp)
Sabrina (Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart)
Phantom of the Opera (Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson)
Sense and Sensibility (Kate Winslet, Emma Thompson)
Beaches (Bette Midler, Barbara Hershey)

Beauty is tree blossoms. Tender and coming to life, from apparently nothing. Springing forth from the cold, dark, long winter they bring hope and life and color to the world. To the lives of everyone blessed enough to see them. The spring hasn't fully come to with the blossoms, but it soon will. It brings the promise of better times to come, the promise of renewal and life. Also the blossoms also bring the knowledge that--finally--the worst is over, and you can move on and grow again. (These photos I took)


(for Savvy, pink "paw-corn" trees are her favorite)


Beauty is tragedy. That sounds depressing, but truly I believe tragedy is beautiful. Tear-stained cheeks are washed clean. Tears bring soothing and peace afterward, and--for me--sleep. Pain is for the heart like pruning is for plants. It may hurt, and it may seem like it's shrinking you, but afterward it helps you to grow and to blossom and bear fruit. Grief brings clarity to the joyful moments in life. Trials bring peace afterward. Calamity brings strength. Heartbreak brings vision and wisdom. I'm experiencing all this myself. It hurts, but it's helping me be a better person, friend, daughter, and sister.

Beauty is everywhere, and I'm finding it, enjoying it, crying tears over it's painfully perfect moments, letting it envelope me, and hoping and praying I'm emanating it's light.

1 comment:

  1. "Is it a secret piece of cake in the pantry and no one finds you?"
    -and-
    "Pain is for the heart like pruning is for plants. It may hurt, and it may seem like it's shrinking you, but afterward it helps you to grow and to blossom and bear fruit. Grief brings clarity to the joyful moments in life. Trials bring peace afterward. Calamity brings strength. Heartbreak brings vision and wisdom."
    Rocking my world, these two things today.

    ReplyDelete